Thursday, April 26, 2007

Cho Seung Hui

This is Cho Seung Hui's favorite song: Shine - Collective Soul

Two roommates of Virginia Tech gunmen Cho Seung-Hui told CNN on Tuesday night that the 23-year-old English major listened to a lot of Zeppelin and Nirvana on his laptop, but he mostly played the same song over and over again: Collective Soul’s “Shine,” the 1993 release off of the Hints Allegations and Things Left Unsaid album.

Cho seemed to take solace from music, which his roommates said he obsessively downloaded from the Internet. One of his favorites was the song "Shine" by Collective Soul, which he played over and over.

He even scribbled some of the song's lyrics on the wall, said his roommates, writing: "Teach me how to speak; Teach me how to share; Teach me where to go." Trey Perkins, a student who saw Cho during the shooting spree, said it was unreal, "being that close to a monster."


Source: http://www.villagevoice.com/blogs/music/archives/2007/04/collective_soul.php

Hmm I think he is so complicated and mysterious. So is his final message "Ismail Ax", his videotape, his favorite song and his lifestyle. Anyway, my lesson is never poison yourself by negative thoughts and don't isolate yourself. Be open, willing to share feeling and discuss. This tragedy could have been prevented if Cho's family, relatives or his roommates, his teachers... had taken more care to him.

"Teach me how to speak; Teach me how to share; Teach me where to go." Well, there must have been many many people who can teach him to do that. Why Cho couldn't find anybody? How come he was unable to speak, share and know where to go? I think the answer has both 2 ways around. Neither does Cho want to learn it nor does anybody recognize and help him. One hand, he was so lonely but he tried to isolate and poison himself with his crazy and unhealthy thoughts. On the other hand, there is no one pays attention to his abnormal behavior and no one cares.


Lyrics:

Give me a word
Give me a sign
Show me where to look
Tell what will I find ( will I find )

Lay me on the ground
Fly me in the sky
Show me where to look
Tell me what will I find ( will I find )

Oh, heaven let your light shine down

Love is in the water
Love is in the air
Show me where to go
Tell me will love be there ( love be there )

Teach me how to speak
Teach me how to share
Teach me where to go
Tell me will love be there ( love be there )

Oh, heaven let your light shine down

I’m going to let it shine
Heavens little light gonna shine on me
Yea yea heavens little light gonna shine on me
Its gonna shine, shine on me.

No comments:

Post a Comment